We’ve made a lot of progress over the past few years to make our marketplace trusted by thousands of galleries and collectors. Today, when you communicate and transact on Artsy:
- You are backed by Artsy’s US$100,000 Fraud Protection Guarantee.
- Every transaction and conversation is screened for suspicious activity.
- We carry out identity verification and check over 80 watchlists for orders above US$10,000.
- We calculate and remit sales tax on your behalf.
- We offer a shipping solution with multiple cost options.
- Collectors can easily pay with a credit card or ACH Bank Transfer.
- Collectors receive Artsy’s Buyer Protections and Extended Authenticity Protection, which covers transactions up to US$100,000.
- NEW! We’ve also added Conversation functionality to every order, so you can learn more about the collector and ask them questions, before you accept or reject or counter an offer.
To ensure the security and ease of sales, and increase the likelihood of converting collectors to buyers, we are taking efforts to ensure that communication and transactions that start on Artsy are completed on Artsy.
Below, you will find Artsy’s On Platform Policy, which goes into effect on September 15, 2022 for galleries with a U.S. billing location on our Essentials, Plus, and Premier plans.
Artsy’s On Platform Policy
In order to provide collectors with a secure, simple, and trusted experience, the following activities are not permitted on Artsy when they are done with the intention of moving a transaction off Artsy:
- Asking for or sharing direct contact information or directing a collector to another website, phone number, or physical location.
- Note: If you need to complete AML or KYC checks on a collector, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- Canceling or rejecting pending offers on Artsy and directing the collector to check out via an alternate method instead.
- Asking collectors to settle additional payments off platform for any services being rendered through Artsy.
Please note that this policy only pertains to transactions that originate on the Artsy platform. We want you to develop long-term relationships with collectors met on Artsy. As part of this new policy, you will receive the collector’s contact information, including an email address, at the close of each sale.
Included below are frequently asked questions we’ve heard from partners regarding this policy. We are happy to help answer any additional questions you may have and look forward to continuing to grow the art market together.
If someone buys a work from me on Artsy, and then later buys another work from me in-person at my gallery, through my website, or at a fair, do I need to inform you or pay Artsy a service fee?
No. This policy pertains to transactions that originate on the Artsy platform, not relationships that you have established with your collectors. We encourage you to develop ongoing relationships with collectors met through Artsy.
What gallery partners does this policy apply to?
The Artsy On Platform Policy currently applies to all partners on the Essentials plan and to U.S. based partner on Plus, and Premier plans.
How can I add collectors to my mailing list?
You will receive buyer details as part of the check-out process when completing a sale on Artsy. This will include an email address, which can be used for mailing lists if the collector agrees.
Can I create a custom invoice on Artsy
Our team can create an itemized invoice for you on request. Simply reach out to partner support or your account executive for more details.
Do I now have to use Artsy Shipping? Do I have to list shipping costs upfront?
While we recommend opting your works into Artsy Shipping, you are not required to use Artsy Shipping as your shipping option. You are also able to select a flat shipping fee or offer free shipping for your works. For works listed as Buy Now or Make Offer, you must provide a shipping option and cost. For works listed as Contact Gallery, you may add in the shipping cost after you have received an offer to acquire the work.
If a collector discovers a work on Artsy without reaching out to me and then ends up purchasing the work on my website or in-person, do I need to inform you or pay Artsy a service fee?
Will Artsy be removing gallery names from the site? What about website links?
No, we will not be removing gallery names from Artsy. We want collectors to discover and follow galleries to learn more about your gallery and the artists you represent. We will be removing external links in listings in order to keep the sale process on Artsy and ensure the level of simplicity and security that collectors expect.
How will Artsy be enforcing this policy?
If we determine a transaction has been taken off platform, we will be in touch to help the gallery adjust to these new requirements. If a gallery were to continue to take transactions off platform, we may take further action, including invoicing for commission and/or limiting access to the account.
How will Artsy help me adopt this policy? I need help understanding exactly what this means for our gallery.
Your Artsy Account Executive is here to help you determine what changes are and aren’t needed.
Will Artsy remove links to my gallery website?
Artsy will not remove the link from your gallery profile page to your gallery website. We will only be removing external links on the artwork listings detail page.
Please sign in to leave a comment.