This article will provide instructions for adding installation shots to a show or fair booth.
Installation shots are images of the artworks hung in a show or fair booth. They are generally photos of multiple artworks from the show, or fair booth hung side-by-side. If you add install shots, they will be displayed on your profile in the carousel at the top of a show page. While they are not mandatory for any show or fair booth, they give context to Artsy users of how one might live with the work. Please note, there is a limit of ten installation images on any show or fair booth.
Add installation images by clicking to the “Install Shots” at the top of the page for the show in the Shows & Fairs tab.
To upload installation images, click the “Add Install Shots” button highlighted in purple above. Drag install photos into the box or click to select images from your Finder.
- All images uploaded to a show should be JPG or PNG files, and at least 1800 pixels on the widest side.
- The dimensions for the cover image are 800x450 pixels.
- Image files should have a file size of less than 30mb.
- Ensure filenames do not include periods other than in the filetype extension, quotation marks, commas, dollar signs, spaces, or other similar symbols, as these can cause errors in image processing.
- At least three installation shots are required for Installation Images to display on your Artsy show page.
Recommendations for Cover Images and Install Shots
- Light the space to the maximum, or with as much natural light as possible. If that's insufficient, use Photoshop to bring exposure/levels up.
- Provide level, wide-angle shots from multiple perspectives, and capture several artworks in your space.
- Add a person for size reference (an anonymous back shot or a blurred moving shot will help keep the focus on the artwork, not the person).
- For online shows: you can hang the artwork on any wall and use that as a cover image. If using 3D renderings, use simple, well-focused renderings to place the artwork.
- Once images are uploaded, reorder to your liking.
- It is possible to add captions of up to 500 characters to each install shot. Use this caption space to comment on / note the works pictured.
- Add up to 10 installation images.
Note: Changes made within CMS can take time to process. This change could take 24 hours to appear on Artsy.net.
Things to Avoid
- Don't add graphic design or text on the cover image or install shots (it's redundant—everything about the show including your gallery name, dates and location already appears next to the cover image)
- Don't use a portrait-oriented artwork as the main cover image (it will appear cut off)
- Don't place artwork in 3D renderings that emphasize the room/interior and take away from the artwork